How does CBH Scotland keep you fit for life?

What does my CBH membership card do?

Your membership card displays a unique reference number. This is used to identify you on our database and display relevant work-related health information to your employer.

What happens to information about my health?

Your employer’s Occupational Health Service Provider (OHSP) retains a record of your regular health checks. These make sure your health is not being adversely affected by your working environment, and that your employer is making appropriate efforts to safeguard your wellbeing.

With your permission, the CBH database will also record the date of your check and the type of check carried out, as well as any recommendations made to protect your health at work. As a CBH member, your employer can then download this information from our secure database and make appropriate adjustments to your working environment.

Can a site manager/Principal Contractor check my fitness for task?

Your employer can access your health check record on our database, If you are working as a subcontractor or someone outside of your company wants to check then only safety critical information can be viewed via our website. This just allows the PC to confirm that your employer is managing your work-related health.

How do I use my CBH membership card and CSCS card?

You should take your card on site and present it to your employer when asked. They’ll use your unique reference number to get hold of your health-check information, confirming your identify by asking for your name, date of birth, address, and National Insurance number. Alternatively, they can use your CSCS card to secure the same data.

Can the site manager see medical information about me?

No. The CBH database does not hold any specific information about your medical conditions, only recommendations about how to safeguard your work-related health. If your job involves safety-critical tasks such as working at height or operating mobile plant, they will receive details of additional measures recommended by the OHSP to protect your health and that of your colleagues.

What if a new employer decides not to hire me after seeing the extra protective measures I require?

When you change jobs, your new employer will be able to see details of checks for safety-critical work, and recommendations emerging from them. But this is only so they can make reasonable adjustments to your working environment – something that is especially important if you have a disability.

There are some cases where it’s not possible for an employer to make the required adjustment – for example, if a mobile plant operator is barred from driving. In these cases, it may not be possible for you to take up your position.

If you feel you have been discriminated against because of your health or a disability, you should speak to your Trade Union or contact CBH for guidance. You could also get in touch with ACAS or the Citizens’ Advice Bureau.

Can I refuse to go on the CBH database?

Yes, you can. Simply write to us with proof of your identity, or phone our advice line on 0845 873 7726.

What happens if my health changes?

You should let your employer or OHSP know if you have any changes in health. If you need guidance about this, contact CBH Scotland on 0845 873 7726.

What should I do if I lose my card?

Keep the letter that comes with your card in a safe place, as this provides a record of your unique reference number. If you lose your card, contact CBH Scotland immediately on 0845 873 7726 to order a replacement. There may be a small charge for this.

I’ve found someone else’s card. What should I do?

If you don’t know who it belongs to, please return it by mail to CBH Scotland and we’ll contact the member.

Who do I contact with further concerns?

Speak to your employer in the first instance. But if you’d like to speak in confidence to one of CBH’s qualified occupational health advisors, please call 0845 873 7726.

What happens when my next health check is due?

Your employer will arrange for your regular health check at the appropriate time. If you have any questions about this, please contact us on 0845 873 7726.

Can I see the medical information CBH holds about me?

You are able to view the information held about you on the CBH Scotland database, though there may be a fee to do so. Call us on 0845 873 7726 to lodge your request.

“Having a health record that travels with me can help keep me in work”

1 in 3 construction workers suffer from occupational health issues